Wednesday, July 7, 2010

No Rest for the Weary

It's hard to believe it, but not only am I back in New York after an incredible 2 weeks in Texas, but I will already be leaving again tomorrow afternoon.  This time it's for nearly 6 weeks.  This time it's to India.

Coming back to the Bronx after being on such an adventure the past few weeks was, honestly, a bit of a let-down.  Not that there's anything wrong with the Bronx - not at all.  It's more that I've been having such an amazing time learning about aerospace medicine, and coming back to reality is a bit of a disappointment.  I have finally been given the vision of exactly what I want to do with my life, but it was only that.  A teaser for the future, which I won't get to grasp again for an agonizing 2 years.  Medical school has now become, in my mind, merely a (large) hurdle in the way of becoming a flight surgeon.  Obviously I need to go through school to become a doctor, but now that I have such a clear goal in mind, it's hard not to be impatient.

I suppose there are worse reasons for impatience.  By the time I get back here in August, the glowing glory of AMP will have faded at least a little bit, and I will hopefully be ready to get back into the books.  Not only that, but I'll be excited to see my friends and classmates again, so there will be more reason to be excited, rather than impatient, about what the next few years have in store.  But in the meantime...it's time to get excited for India!  Not so much the 14-hour first leg of the flight.  Just keep thinking about the idly, Michelle, and smell the jasmine, chai, coconut chutney...I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment