Tuesday, June 8, 2010

One More Day

That's all that is left of my first year of medical school, and my goodness, has it gone quickly!  Sure, Histology seems like it was forever ago, but the crazy thing is that we use our histological knowledge ever more frequently as we discuss pathologies of organs and systems.  All those "useless" slides and cells are not only relevant but are now also becoming useful and necessary as we learn to distinguish between diseases with once-foreign-sounding but now ever-too-familiar names like membrano-proliferative glomerulonephritis and focal segmental glomerulosclerosis.  Sure, Anatomy was, in many ways, a dark time in our lives that I'd be happy to never have to repeat, ever, but at the same time, the hours upon hours of lab time and studying and smelling like preservatives helped form some of the most unexpected but fruitful friendships with fellow classmates.  Yes, the year has flown by, but it's been incredibly rewarding.  Now, at the end, when I finally feel comfortable and at home, surrounded by all the friends that I've made throughout the year, I actually feel sad to be leaving for the summer.  It's comforting knowing that there's a reason to look forward to coming back for second year in the fall.

But what am I saying?  I'm getting ahead of myself.  We still have one more test: renal pathology, tomorrow morning.  As soon as that's over...FREEDOM!  But until then...DOOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment