Sunday, August 23, 2009

Last Week of Freedom

I have been in New York for a week now, and I'm beginning to realize that I'll never, ever be able to do it all. This city is amazing. It is SO big, filled with SO many people, ripe with SO many opportunities. Even if all I did for the next 4 years was explore, I still wouldn't be able to do everything that I want to do. Add being a medical student on top of that, and there's absolutely no way that I could ever run out of things to do on top of the hours of class and studying, which, incidentally, begin tomorrow.

So what have I been up to during this last week of freedom before the grueling years of nights with minimal sleep begin? If I had to name the single activity that I've spent the most time on this week (besides sleeping), it would definitely be unpacking. It's such a ridiculously gradual process, trying to figure out exactly where I want to place and store all of my possessions; as far as I know, this room -- this apartment -- could be my home for 4 years. (I'm actually not sure how the housing system works, so I could be completely wrong about this and may even have to move next summer. I guess we'll see what happens there.) I've never lived in an unfurnished place before, since St. Olaf housing always provided a bed, dresser, and desk; I never realized how much these things mattered until now. Luckily Target sells some nice-looking furniture for decent prices, because I definitely took advantage of that. I've realized very quickly the importance of storage space: I had to make another Target run to pick up some more shelving and drawers because I simply didn't have enough hide-away space for all those little miscellaneous supplies which seem so innocuous at first but demand their own little homes -- office supplies, important documents, hair dryer, spare glasses...

Enough with the boring stuff. I realize storage isn't really the most captivating of subjects. What about the city? Well, last Monday, I went to Manhattan with Shira, one of my new roommates. We spent a good portion of the day just walking around and enjoying the sights in the Chelsea and Greenwich Village areas. Our first stop was the High Line, a new park created from an old elevated railroad. The tracks are still there, but they are hidden by beautiful wildflowers and trees that have been planted, and there is a path and plenty of chairs along the entire way. It's a relaxing place to walk, jog, or simply sit and enjoy the sun or a good book.

Wildflowers among the tall buildings

Throughout the rest of the afternoon, we walked and did whatever met our fancy. We had falafel sandwiches at Mamoun's, played in the fountain and rested under a tree at Washington Square Park, grabbed some iced tea at Grey Dog's Coffee, and browsed the extensive book collection at the Strand Book Store.


On a 90-plus-degree day in the city, what could be better than cooling off in the fountain at Washington Square Park?

The next day, I ventured into the city again. This time I was on a mission: My car's radiator had been replaced, and it was ready for me to pick up. This meant I had to catch a train to Trenton, NJ, where my uncle would pick me up and drive me back to Newtown, PA, to get my car. I had a little extra time before the train left, so I wandered from Penn Station over to Times Square. Oh, the life! So many people, so many colors and flashing lights, so many captivating things to see!

My emerging NYC policy: When all else fails, people-watch.

The drive from Newtown to the Bronx was surprisingly low-key. My experiences driving in Minneapolis and St. Paul this past year, while not the same as driving in New York, have certainly taught me the basics of driving aggressively. That being said, I still don't think I ever want to try driving in Manhattan.

Medical school orientation began on Wednesday. Like all orientations, everyone, including me, is beginning fresh; we all come in knowing nothing and no one. It's tiring to be constantly meeting new people and trying desperately to remember names and how many siblings each person has, but it's so rewarding, as well. I've already made some good friends, and I have a feeling I'll be meeting more and more amazing people every day. The biggest blessing about this school is that it places such high value on attracting and accepting genuinely nice people. That's what matters the most. Yes, Albert Einstein College of Medicine is a great school, known for its top-notch research and medical training, but it does not use this as an excuse to admit people who are going to be cutthroat and competitive. I could feel that at my interview last year, and it's turning out to be true in reality, as well.

For me, the most exciting part of orientation happened on Thursday night: We all were treated to a chartered boat tour around Manhattan. Since it began around 6:30 and ended at 9, we were able to watch the city in its transformation from day to night.

I would love to be on that sailboat...

...but hanging out on the larger boat with some of my new friends is just as fun!

We came suddenly upon an American icon, and my heart stood still in the beauty and symbolism.

The sky (and the city) treated us to wonderful colors...

...and then the city came to life.

Most of us med students went to a bar in the theater district called Zanzibar after the boat tour was done. The whole boat/bar/subway-back-to-Einstein experience was yet another of many opportunities to meet more of my fellow students. I can honestly say that so far, every person I've met seems like someone I would want to hang out with on a regular basis. Everyone here is so nice. I can't emphasize that enough.

The rest of the weekend, I've been doing this and that. I went to a movie with some friends on Friday night, and yesterday evening I went to church and then dinner with two other students. It was so awesome to be able to go to church with other people, and it sounds like they (and others, potentially) want to go together each week. It will be like being back at St. Olaf! We had dinner at Patricia's, which has the most incredible bread and olive oil mixed with whole pieces of garlic and spices and herbs. Mmmm. Mom and I ate there for lunch last weekend, and the waiter last night, thinking that he recognized me, said, "From Minnesota, right?" I love little places like this! Luckily, the Bronx is full of them.

Speaking of Minnesota, I'm pretty rare here. Almost 50% of my classmates are from New York, and another 30% or so are from California. The rest are mostly from the Northeast, with a few scattered students from the Midwest and other West Coast areas. I like it. I like being the odd one. I've only gotten a few comments about my accent so far, but I have a feeling that as I get to know people and be more myself, they'll start recognizing it more. It's like COT all over again -- but in that, I'm feeling just fine. I made such great friends at COT, and I have a feeling I'll make great friends here as well.

And speaking of COT, that's another funny thing as well. When I tell my classmates (new friends) that I'm in the Air Force, they're all initially surprised, saying things like, "Wow, you must be tough." I guess they all get the initial impression that I'm just this nice, normal girl, and it never crosses their minds that I would be in the military. Well, they'll learn. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment