Friday, March 18, 2011

Why I Love My Decision

I was poking around on the Air Force health professions website today, and I ran across this description.  Definitely dumbed down a bit...but totally awesome.


Flight surgeons are the heart of the aerospace
medicine program. They’re responsible for the
health and effectiveness of aircrew members and
those who directly support flight operations.


Aerospace medicine addresses the physical and
mental challenges presented by modern high-
performance aircraft and the aerospace
environment. Among these are high-altitude stress,
G-forces and the physiological aspects of flight.


The best way to understand the medical conditions
pilots experience from high altitude, G-forces, and
rapid pressure changes while flying is to experience
them firsthand.


As a flight surgeon, it’s part of your job to fly.
Depending on your squadron’s aircraft, you may
experience Mach 2 in an F-15 Eagle or work aboard
a KC-135 during a midair-refueling mission.


This is why I want to go into flight medicine.  Tomorrow is my 2-year anniversary of being commissioned...and I still believe it's the best decision I've made yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment