Saturday, March 26, 2011

16 Down...

...2 to go.  Or something like that.  I tried counting up all of our "major" classes in medical school.  It's less exact than one might expect, since some classes have 8 units but only count as one listing in the curriculum (I'm looking at you, Molecular and Cellular Foundations of Medicine), whereas others span both first and second year but never have a test (where to put you, Bioethics?).  It makes counting a little difficult.  Regardless of the correctness of the count, the truth still remains:  I am now taking my final two classes of medical school.

That's crazy.

After April 15, every test I take will have the word "national" in it.  After April 15, I will theoretically have the knowledge to go into the hospital and synthesize all of the past two years' worth of knowledge into patient care.  After April 15, I will be -- gasp -- a third year medical student.  That's partially a lie.  Between April 15 (the end of second year) and June 13 (the beginning of third year), there lies a snarling, fire-breathing beast known as the USMLE Step 1, a.k.a. THE BOARDS.  All our lives will be consumed in never-ending studying until the appointed day of the 8-hour fight to the death.  I apologize in advance for how boring my life will be until that point.

Until then, I will be racing through my final two classes of medical school, Musculoskeletal System and Hematology.  What up, blood?

No comments:

Post a Comment