Sunday, September 26, 2010

Apples

Last year was the first year in...I actually have no idea how long...that I was not able to go apple picking.  It's one of the best parts about the fall, so I decided that I could not go two consecutive years without a visit to the orchard.  Luckily, I have friends who agree despite another exam coming up tomorrow.  We headed to Jersey (exciting, I know) to check out the offerings of Demarest Farms.

The offerings were good.

Despite my extensive apple-picking experience in Minnesota, I had to say I felt a bit at a loss in New Jersey.  The apple varieties aren't the same.  I didn't find any of my favorites, and I had to figure out on my own (by eating lots of apples) which ones were better for eating vs. baking.  (Clearly, life is tough when you don't have the familiar Chestnut Crabs, Honeycrisp, Haralson, Wealthy, Fireside, Zestar...I could keep going, but you get the point.)  Plus, apples like Red Delicious and Fuji just aren't that exciting.  I can find those in the store.  Nevertheless, we found some good varieties, deciding that Empire and Liberty were our favorites (plus they have cool names).

We also had size contests.  I found the biggest apple.  Ferdinand found the smallest.

Later, after successful picking, we acted like kids at the play area.  Nothing like a trip to the orchard to relive childhood!

We even recruited a random little kid (far right) to fill out the picture.

A great time this fall...will we be back next year?  I hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment