Thursday, August 12, 2010

Illness

I've been meaning, for the past few days, to write about the fantastic weekend I had in Ooty.  India doesn't always let you do what you want.  I was completely fine on Tuesday, but things got really bad really quickly beginning yesterday morning.  I was tired.  My muscles ached.  My bones ached.  I was not hungry.  I had a headache.  Most of the day, I took catnaps in the library, wanting my 3:00 meeting to come quickly so I could go home to rest.  Unfortunately, Wednesday nights are Darling nights - all the international students go to a local restaurant, and usually it's a highlight of the week.  Should I go to Darling or not?  I took a 90-minute nap and felt somewhat better, so I decided to go.  Bad decision.  As soon as I got there, I started feeling cold.  Cold - in the open air, at 90 degrees.  It was getting harder to focus.  And then there was that feeling that I've only had twice before, the feeling of my pulse slowing and my vision narrowing.  I fainted.  Suddenly I was surrounded by people, asking me questions that I couldn't hear.  Why was my sandal off?  Why was everyone staring?  I guess it was fortunate that I was surrounded by medical students, many of whom are only a year from graduating.  After letting me rest a bit, one of the guys caught an autorickshaw with me back to my lodging.

It wasn't over yet - the night was miserable.  I wish I had a thermometer with me, because I've never felt that hot in my life.  My body was burning, but I was alternately cold and then hot.  I couldn't get comfortable.  I alternately bundled up under heavy blankets and then, minutes later, would throw them off again.  My heart raced at 120 beats per minute, even though all I was doing was trying to sleep.  The night seemed long because of my inability to sleep comfortably.  I briefly considered going to the hospital this morning - for treatment, not for work - but didn't feel up to it.  I lay in bed and tried to read, but mostly just fell asleep or stared at the ceiling.

I'm feeling (somewhat) better now.  I've stopped sweating at the slightest movement, I have less (no?) fever, and I haven't slept in a few hours.  I don't think I'll be able to stay up for the Perseids as was the plan, but then again, I don't know if these clouds will leave by tonight, anyway.  Maybe instead I'll feel up to reliving the weekend at Ooty.

2 comments:

  1. Michelle!
    Earlier this summer I got sick really quickly like that- worse then I ever had in years. It was basically a sinus infection but it was complete with a fever, not being able to breathe basically at all, no appetite, no sense of smell or taste- but Meesh- it was wonderful! I was stripped of every worldly- not even worldly- every EARTHLY pleasure (I couldn't really talk either)- and all I had left was to sit and look at God. And he's like "you're useless to everyone but me"- and He took my "suffering" (you can hardly call it that because I was so happy- one should really call it a party suffering) and used it for His glory! He used it to help others and to teach me that being faithful to Him, that simply loving Him is better than being successful in any earthly sense whatsoever- even better than helping my Mom with the dishes or having health. So, I hope you're having a really jolly time with your illness. Because it's the only way to be when you're sick- completely useless! And if you die, I hope it's slow and painful so you can save as many souls as possible in the process and die burning- altogether CONSUMED- with love for Jesus. I love you! Have an awesome day!

    Love and LOVE and LOVE!
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rose, you always manage to put things in a different light. I can totally picture you lying there, useless, with a silly grin on your face despite being in pain or feeling completely terrible. I know exactly what you mean, though -- by being sick, no one has ANY expectations of me, and I feel completely content lying there doing NOTHING because, after all, what in the world could I possibly be expected to do? Besides thank God for my otherwise healthy, exciting, fortunate life, as well as the illness that puts it all in perspective. I hope YOU have an awesome day too!

    LOVE!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete