Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Bronx Bombin'

Yes, I made it back to New York.  My final week in India was interesting because I was dealing with lingering illness.  Without going into too much detail, I was still having effects of whatever began plaguing me that last night at Darling even when I came back to the U.S.  Luckily, Cipro is essentially miraculous and was able to wipe out whatever residual disease was hanging out in my intestines, and I am now (I think) cured.

I arrived in New York early on Wednesday morning.  By the time I went to bed that night, I had been up for 44 straight hours (except, I suppose, 1-2 hours of napping on the plane).  My body was so confused that I never had very bad jet lag, just a few nights of needing to go to sleep slightly earlier than normal while waking up at a normal time in the morning.  That was fortunate, because we started classes the next day, on Thursday.  My attitude toward medical school has taken a drastic turn since last June, when I was dreading coming back in the fall.  I'm actually very excited and happy to be back.  It's been so fun to see my friends here again, and classes, though harder, will be much more interesting than last year.  Even more than these reasons (which are great reasons to be excited on their own), I now have a goal, a view of the future, a reason to be excited about medicine and my future career.  That goal is flight medicine.  I am determined not to lose sight of it, for it has given me more focus and determination than I have ever felt toward medicine in the past.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying being back in America.  Most of this centers around foods that I missed.  Cold milk, cereal, barbecue, pasta, fresh vegetables, macaroni and cheese, strong coffee...I could go on forever.  It's great to be home!

1 comment:

  1. MICHELLE!! Oh, how horrible you were so sick. I'm glad you're back, safe, well and happy with your coffee fix. Just wondering...do you have the same address as before? If not, maybe you could e-mail me your new one? Good, good. LOOOOVE YOU, MICH.

    ReplyDelete