Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Since When Does "Uke" Translate as "Nerd"?

...yes, it's a legitimate question. This past Friday, I engaged in my second intentional skipping of class, again for the purpose of playing the ukulele. This time, it was more legitimate (at least in my mind) than last time's "ahhh, it's so nice out, let's just sit outside in the sun and play music" truancy. This time, it was for the annual New York Uke Fest held at Baruch College. Yes, there is such thing as a ukulele festival. Why not? It's a versatile instrument that is relatively easy to learn, and who's ever heard of an unhappy ukulele player? (Not me.) So anyway, off I went to Midtown to participate in workshops, marvel at the newest ukulele models and gadgets, and see fantastic performances. And, um, buy a new ukulele. It's sooo pretty! It's a concert-sized, solid-maple Kala, with a very bright and surprisingly loud, crisp tone. It is in no way a replacement for my soprano beginner's Kala, which has a sweeter, warmer tone. No, I like to think of it as a step into the true enthusiast's realm, in which I gradually add more and more to my collection (while in the meantime taking the newly enhanced opportunity to teach friends how to play as well). Aloha!

Ukulele vending must be one of the happiest jobs in the world.

Could the festival be complete without some hula? I think not.

Greg Hawkes, the keyboardist from The Cars, has since become a huge uke fan/performer.

The oldest performing musician in America, if not the world: Bill Tapia, 102, closed out the concerts with his jazz uke style. What a guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment