Monday, March 1, 2010

Out of Shape

After hearing the broadcast of a live recital played on Chopin's 152-year-old piano, I was inspired. I had to play some Chopin of my own. I'm a huge fan of the nocturnes because they're relatively short and achingly beautiful, many of them. However, I decided it was time to bring back the Polonaise in A Major. Mmmm...so full and vibrant, not to mention RAUCOUSLY FUN. I break it out every once-in-a-while. I like to have the music out, but I've discovered it's one of the few songs that has remained in my memory from my recital days.

So anyway, I opened my book, put on my headphones, smiled to myself, and began, leaving no note spared, no forte unpounded. Halfway in, I could feel myself getting warm. 3/4 through, I could feel the squeezing ache of fatigue tighten my forearms. It was all I could do to keep the momentum through the last note...and then, BAM, I was done. I grinned like a fool. My forearms ached, my fingers were shaking, I was sweating, and my dorsal metacarpal and cephalic veins were nearly popping out of my hands and wrists (sorry, had to get some anatomy in there). Even my upper arms felt worked. Incredible. I've got to keep in better shape.

My veins are never this big, which leads to the (possibly valid?) question: Who needs to lift weights when there's Chopin around?

No comments:

Post a Comment