Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Outcast...

Everyone knows the Twins are awesome. There can be no dispute about that. Maybe it sounds like I'm making assumptions, but at least I'm forward about them. Anyway, the Twins are awesome, as evidenced by their spectacular defeat of the Tigers last night. I was going out of my mind from the tension...all the extra innings...and then they pulled through. What a game!

Today, in celebration of their victory, and in anticipation of their upcoming games against the Yankees, I wore my Twins cap -- again. Yesterday I got a few comments; today I felt as though I was the center of attention! I heard all kinds of comments, from the friendly congratulations to the "friendly" banter of the die-hard Yankee-loving Bronxites.

Last night, I e-mailed the entire class of 2013 asking for anyone who would be willing to go to the game with me on Friday, with the stipulation that they would have to put up with sitting with the "enemy" (me), since most of my classmates are certainly not Twins fans. I got several responses from people interested in the game, as well as the following response:

Michelle,

I will disregard most of your blasphemous email (you live in the Bronx now, don't forget that) and serve you fair warning about Friday. I will be there and I....errr, drunken a**holes tend to throw things at opposing fans. Plus you don't wanna see a guy the Yankees wasted 60 million on (Pavano) get slaughtered by a hungry best lineup in baseball. Save your money for Anatomy books, and/or buy Chris Taglia a shot for his birthday.

Go Yanks!

Jon

This was also sent to the entire class, and since we received it during Histology lab, my lab partner Eman (who happens to be the only other Minnesotan in our class) and I swiftly responded:

Dear Jon,

As a fellow Minnesotan, I feel obligated to inform you of the fallacy of your beliefs. Contrary to commonly held viewpoints in NY, money does not buy loyalty, as evidenced by your inability to fill your brand new Yankee stadium. The Metrodome, on the other hand, is already employing a lottery system to fairly distribute the remaining tickets (which also only cost $12 as opposed to your ridiculous $93). Also, may I point out that the Metrodome holds more fans. Besides, Mauer will win over the Yankee ladies (and maybe some of the men) in a flash.

See you Friday night where we....errr, drunken Twins fans/converts will be throwing things back your way.
Cheers,
Ema

*this message is approved by Cat, Adam and Michelle

ps. GO TWINS:) woot.

We have since received another response from our friend:

It was pointed out to me that my first email was perhaps a bit too scathing, and for that Michelle I assure you I meant no harm. It was simply friendly trash-talking in standard a-hole Yankee fan style. Please do go the game and enjoy yourself.

Eman,

Your argument is beautifully stated, save for the fact that last night was the largest attendance ever at the Metrodome, sadly on the possible eve of its destruction, and that the Pohlad family (owner of the Twins) considered folding the team in 2001 cause they were losing 15 million a year. I guess you're right, money doesn't buy loyalty. When your ticket prices skyrocket to 32 dollars next year in your new stadium and they are back to filling 15,000 seats a game, we will see who is looking for revenue sharing.

I do love Mauer, and can't wait for his 2012 debut in pinstripes. Go Yanks!

Hank Steinbrenner

P.S. This was once again friendly banter, no personal offense should be taken, and I love all baseball fans whose home team doesn't end in "oston Red Sox".

Apparently some of my friends had lambasted Jon for his e-mail to me, telling him, "Michelle's so nice! I can't believe you sent that to her!" They don't know how tough I am -- and they don't realize that this friendly banter is my favorite kind of humor. I don't take crap from anyone -- not even Yankees fans. Not even an entire room full of them (as happened today at our ICM workshop), or even when I'm called out in front of the whole class by the Immunology professor. Yes, he used the fact that I was wearing a Twins cap to explain the concept of antigen recognition by T-cells being enhanced by adhesion molecule interactions. Awesome. And now the game is about to start...so I must cheer on my Twins!

1 comment:

  1. That was awesome. And yeah, I think you've been well-trained by certain people *ahem* to take crap from others.

    Now hopefully the Twins can actually pull out a win.

    ReplyDelete