Sunday, December 12, 2010

Ireland: Tour and the End

My last full day in Ireland was our Cliffs of Moher tour, which included much more than just the cliffs.  Despite it snowing the previous night, and despite a heavy fog over Galway, we were blessed with beautiful, clear weather for our tour.  Pictures tell it best.

 Beautiful countryside of the Burren

The Burren is known for its vast limestone fields 

The Cliffs of Moher in shadow 

An ancient grave 

As the afternoon wore on, the clouds began to come back. 

During the tour, we became friends with Rachel from Australia. 

The tour ended the same way it began: in heavy fog.

That night, we went to Mass at the Galway cathedral.  Before it began, the priest came over to chat with us, asking where we were from.  Then he asked me if I would like to light the Advent candle, as it was the first Sunday of Advent.  Of course, I said yes!  I was so honored to light the first candle in Galway; what a blessing.  The next day, I had to leave the beautiful country.  My last view of Galway was of the snow-covered countryside, as it had snowed again that night.  I was sad to leave.  Ireland was beautiful, welcoming, and I could have stayed for days and days and days.

Unexpected, but beautiful, snow

No comments:

Post a Comment