Saturday, June 27, 2009

A Word about Words

I realized that some of you may be curious about the title of the blog. First of all, I really like storms. REALLY like storms. What's better than some sweet, booming thunder? Also, I find the idea of keeping thunder in a crate amusing.

In all honesty, though, I shamelessly stole the phrase "crate of thunder" from the second verse of the Air Force song:

Minds of men fashioned a crate of thunder,
Sent it high into the blue;
Hands of men blasted the world asunder;
How they lived God only knew! (God only knew!)
Souls of men dreaming of skies to conquer
Gave us wings, ever to soar!
With scouts before and bombers galore.
Nothing'll stop the U.S. Air Force!


It seemed to fit my personality.

One more word about the Air Force. In preparation for my training, I've been reading through the OTS Manual, a 91-page document explaining all the rules and regulations pertaining to COT. In true military style, every detail is covered, in detail. On one hand, I'm a little bit worried about the amount of it I'm going to forget, but on the other hand, it certainly has led to a few gems of quotes. My favorite so far: Trainees will ensure they are making proper use of their time by always having something to study with them. Examples include...the Handbook of Warrior Knowledge (known as the “Talon”). Well, at least I know we'll be kept busy.

5 comments:

  1. The "Talon"?? Sounds like a religion. You should totally pretend like it's the most important book for you, and make comments to the other officers like, "so, what page are YOU on in the Talon?" and get everyone totally freaked out. Sounds like a good time to me. Or maybe, when you tell people to do things, you should throw in some quotes from "The Talon." Then tell people to go look it up if they don't know what you're talking about. O.k., this post is long and ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't stop laughing the entire time I was reading your comment. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Class schedule of Michelle Howard:

    10 A.M. - Wake up for a Manni/Petti
    11 A.M. - Video Game Training
    Noon- Lunch
    1 P.M. - Nap
    2 P.M. - Advanced Aerospace Dynamics, aka "How to steer blimps with your pus-flaps"
    3 P.M. - Light jog around the lake
    4 P.M - Contact Russians about spy operation
    5 P.M. til ? - Slutbagging

    Re "crate of thunder is what happens when I fart in a box" eve

    ReplyDelete